Moving can be chaotic. You must lead your normal life while packing your personal belongings in anticipation of moving day. To get everything to your new home intact, you need to keep safety in mind while packing.
Here are some things to keep in mind when it comes to safety and packing:
- Clean as You Go – Packing involves pulling items from closets, dressers, and cabinets, then placing them in boxes. It’s very easy to trip over loose items on the floor. Keep a large trash container in the room and dispose of trash as you go. Keep the floor clear of clutter.
- Declutter Unnecessary or Unwanted Items – The less you must pack, the quicker and safer the job will be. Sort items as you go. The things you want to take with you should get put into boxes. Other items can be donated, trashed, given away or sold.
- Pack with Weight in Mind – Always pack heavy items, like books, in small boxes. As a rule, packed boxes should never exceed 30 pounds. This makes it safer for you and the movers in Norristown PA. Pack heavier items at the bottom of a box and put lighter items on top. This helps prevent the box from toppling over when it’s moved.
- Stack Smart – When you have a bunch of boxes, stack them neatly against the wall. It keeps them out of the way and makes it easier to navigate around the room. However, don’t stack them without thought. Always put heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter ones on top. Also, if you have kids or pets, you should keep them away from the stacks to prevent accidents.
- Do Not Pack Hazardous Materials – Some substances aren’t allowed inside the moving van. This is for the well-being of the drivers and for the safety of your belongings. Ask your movers for a complete list of prohibited items. The list will include explosive materials, chemicals, pressure tanks, ammunition, and corrosive materials.
- Use the Right Moving Boxes and Supplies – You will need a range of sizes when it comes to moving boxes. Always choose boxes in good condition with strong sides. Use tape to secure the bottom opening. Double tape the heavier boxes. Mark all your boxes with their contents and the destination room (living room, back bedroom, main bathroom, etc.). Use plenty of packing material between delicate items. Packing peanuts, crumpled moving paper, and bubble wrap are good options.
Keep these tips in mind and your move should go smoothly. For help with moving or packing, contact Louderback Moving Services today.